Thursday, February 18, 2010

Smokey, is he really just evil?

Ever since this season started, and maybe even before that, I have somehow taken for granted that Smokey, the Man in Black, Jacob's enemy is bad or evil, if you will. Sure, part of me always considers the possibility that the show is playing with us and that it's really Jacob who is "evil", but since Hurley believes in Jacob I have a hard time thinking that Jacob will turn out to be the devil in disguise.

And then, tonight, I looked at the quote here on my blog.
BLOND MAN: I take it you're here 'cause of the ship.
GRAY-HAIRED MAN: I am. How did they find the Island?
BLOND MAN: You'll have to ask 'em when they get here.
GRAY-HAIRED MAN: I don't have to ask. You brought them here. Still trying to prove me wrong, aren't you?
BLOND MAN: You are wrong.
GRAY-HAIRED MAN: Am I? They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.
BLOND MAN: It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
That doesn't sound like a man who is necessarily evil. He sounds weary and maybe even disgusted with the fighting and the destruction and the corruption he thinks people bring to the island. If Smokey was once a man, he now sounds more like a tired deity (or alien? or would that mean the show totally jumped the shark?) here, someone who has no faith in humans. Someone who is tired of whatever the game is that is being played out with Jacob. And that was a few hundred years ago!



More and more often I've read the idea on the Lost boards at The Fuselage that the conflict between Smokey and Jacob somehow have implications for the entire world, not just the island. Hawking told Desmond the whole world was at stake if he didn't go to the island to push the button. Maybe she told the truth.

Hawking also told Jack that the dead Locke had to go back to the island on the Ajira plane as a "substitute" for Jack's dead father on the original flight. And The Substitute was the name of this week's episode. Does this mean that maybe Hawking has always been working for Smokey? At least since she left the island? Maybe. I can't wait to see her on the show again.

No comments: