Sunday, March 15, 2009

That's the man I want to be.

Just watched Crossroads 2.

Whoa.

Tigh, Chief, Anders and Tory. Cylons. And they know Dylan's All Along The Watchtower. So they're from Earth? OUR Earth.

That scene ROCKED. Chief's calm, Tigh's total disbelief and then the best line of the series:

My name is Saul Tigh. I am an officer in the colonial fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be.
Wow. I was blown away. I have loved the character of Saul Tigh from the start, and that scene was frakking amazing from him. Top notch stuff. Finally!



Before that was Baltar's trial with Apollo making a nuisance of himself and Bamber slogging through the scenes while getting out acted at every turn by the wonderful Mark Sheppard as Lampkin. I hope he stays in the cast. Fantastic actor.

But yes, even with the wtf moment of Kara's return and the weird shared visions/dreams of Caprica, Athena and Roslin, that scene with the 4 cylons (who is the 5th? is it Ellen?) was the best, the highlight of the show so far for me. That's the man I want to be. A cylon making a choice? No, Saul Tigh the person, the individual making the choice of what he wants to be, based on his own experiences and feelings. This is what it comes down to: not "race", not programming, not destiny but choice. What does it matter if you are a cylon or a human? What is the difference? Truly, to me, this is what the essence of the show has to be about. Without their resurrection ability, the cylons would be human for all intents and purposes. Can these 4 be resurrected? Somehow I doubt it.

So is the idea that they come from our time, our Earth and that they are here, now? And if that is the case, then what will the fleet find there when they arrive? I guess Kara will know...

No comments: