Sunday, March 08, 2009

BSG: Argh


More frustration with the episode about cleaning house after the occupation. Killing those who cooperated with the cylons: I knew that was coming, and I understand the reality of stuff like this. But why the heck would Gaeta not have told people about being the inside guy sooner? Like, right away? Talked to chief or something... And angsty Starbuck makes me itch. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting. I get Tigh's pain and anguish, and I know Starbuck was brainwashed and violated too, yet she really did not "do" very much to help liberate New Caprica. She held hands with a cylon and fell for his manipulative story. That's what she did and that's why she is somehow better than Gaeta? Yes, self-loathing and all that... but it just seems to play out poorly.

At least Fat Apollo lost the Fat. What a ridiculous storyline that was.

LOVE Baltar with the cylons and the talk of the "final five". Intriguing stuff. And Baltar shielding his eyes in the presence of a naked 8? LOL! Even when he's been a total plague on humanity I can't help but love Baltar just a little bit.

This show continues to alternate between brilliance and suckitude in the same episode. If I was looking for a reason why the show never caught on with a larger audience, that may be one reason. Another is the almost unrelenting darkness of its tone and subject matter. I don't mind the darkness, really, but I know shows like that are probably a harder sell than something lighter. After having watched 6 episodes into S3, I can say that I don't think this is the best sci-fi show ever. I'd put TNG and Firefly ahead of it for sure. It's good when it's good, but when it's bad it's infuriatingly bad. I love the depth of it with the ideas about humanity, what it means to love and be human, how politics work and the sense of history in it: Kobol, Earth as myth, pantheism vs monotheism and all that. But it is certainly an unevenly told story.

Plus I still don't get the Jamie Bamber attraction and I'm starting to not feel the Starbuck attraction either. Probably makes me a heretic, but there you go. Any scene with Tigh, Adama, Roslin, Zarek, Baltar and even Chief is superior to any scene with Apollo or Starbuck imo. Guess I'm just ornery that way.

Screencaps thanks to galacticabbs.com

No comments: