Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Re-Watch: Whatever the Case May Be

I dislike this episode. A lot. The whole bank robbery flashback strikes me as totally out of character for Kate: in it she appears reckless and cruel and generally acting like an a-hole. I mean, holding up a bank and traumatizing a whole load of people just so you can get your toy plane back? WTF is that all about? To me, that's worse in some ways than blowing up the guy who beat up your mother. At least in that case, she had some cause for her actions beyond her own gratification.

I've read theories at The Fuselage about how Kate is supposedly time-jumping all over the place and that the reason for her wanting the plane so badly is that it's her constant (like Penny is Desmond's constant). I don't buy it. I just think it was an idea for Kate's character development that was executed badly. Even when we later find out that it was her childhood sweetheart who was connected to the plane, this whole episode still sucks imo.

Plus: Evangeline Lily is not a bad actress but she's crap at crying. Fake fake and fake again, everytime she tries it. Dominic Monaghan however has me welling up in the scene with Rose, when he cries thinking about what happened to Claire.

There's a small flash of something island-myth-mystery in this epi though, when the first beach camp is being washed away and Sayid says:

SAYID: Everything is getting washed out to sea. This can't be normal. The tide shifting so suddenly, rising in so short a time.

JACK: There's a lot not normal around here. At the rate this beach is eroding this fuselage is going to be underwater in a matter of days. We need to get all this stuff off the beach before nightfall.

Hmm. Did the island want to clean up the beach? Who knows. Probably we never will.

And there is Shannon helping Sayid translate Rousseau's notations. It's all a song, La Mer:
La mer
The Sea
Qu'on voit danser le long des golfes clairs
That one sees dancing along the clear gulfs
A des reflets d'argent
Has silver reflections
La mer
The Sea
Des reflets changeants
Changing reflections
Sous la pluie
Under the rain

La mer
The Sea
Au ciel d'été confond
In the summer sky merge
Ses blancs moutons
Its white sheep
Avec les anges si purs
With such pure angels
La mer bergère d'azur
The sea, shepherdess of azure
Infinie
Infinite

Voyez
See
Près des étangs
Close to the ponds
Ces grands roseaux mouillés
These large wet reeds
Voyez
See
Ces oiseaux blancs
These white birds
Et ces maisons rouillées
And these rusted houses

La mer
The Sea
Les a bercés
Has rocked them
Le long des golfes clairs
Along the clear gulfs
Et d'une chanson d'amour
And with a song of love
La mer
The Sea
A bercé mon cœur pour la vie
Has soothed my heart for life
Though the English version of the song goes like this:

Somewhere beyond the sea,
Somewhere, waiting for me,
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailing;

Somewhere beyond the sea,
He's (She's) there watching for me.
If I could fly like birds on high,
Then straight to his (her) arms I'd go sailing.

It's far beyond a star,
It's near beyond the moon,
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon.

We'll meet beyond the shore,
We'll kiss just as before.
Happy we'll be beyond the sea,
And never again I'll go sailing
Which totally sounds like a song about Desmond, who at this point in the story, is suicidal down in the hatch. Whether that is intentional or not I don't know. What meaning could there be to Rousseau's scribblings, coupled with a lot of mathematical formulas? I hope tptb bring this up again and that we get to see Faraday look at the maps, maybe coupled with a Rousseau flashback?

Screencaps thanks to lostpedia.

No comments: