Sunday, June 08, 2008

Ridley Scott does Huxley?

According to the site Rope of Silicon, Ridley Scott's new sci-fi movie (his first since Blade Runner) will be based on Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World". And apparently I, and lots of other people, were sleeping on our Ridley watch, because the cat's been out of the bag since March! Here's what you could apparently read in The LA Times, March 16 of this year:
a movie of "Brave New World" is in the works, produced by George DiCaprio and starring his son, Leonardo, directed by Ridley Scott with a screenplay by Andrew Nicholls. The respected New York agent Georges Borchardt is shepherding new editions of his books and selling foreign rights to a world market hungry for Huxley's work (especially those countries of the former Soviet bloc). We are, it is safe to say, on the eve of a Huxley revival.
It's been a loooong time since I read Huxley's book, and from what I remember I really didn't like it that much. Maybe I'll give it a re-read and see what I think now. It's also been a long time since Ridley went sci-fi, but considering he's made two of the most influential sci-fi movies of all time, Blade Runner and Alien, I do think this could end up being an amazing movie. Yeah, sure, Ridley doesn't always score home-runs with his movies, but having just recently re-watched Blade Runner and listened to Ridley's thoughts on sci-fi and the future of the world, I'd say the dystopian future of "Brave New World" will fit his sensibilities very nicely.

No comments: