Monday, June 02, 2008

The Hobbit Is Happening


The Lord of the Rings is my all-time favourite book. I don't even know how many times I've read it at this point. And yes, I loved Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. Sure, I had issues with some stuff (Treebeard's story and Faramir condoning wanton violence on Gollum being my only real gripes), but I thought the movies were fantastic. And now, finally!, it seems that everyone involved has come to their senses so that The Hobbit can get made. Originally I thought for sure that PJ would be the only one able to do it justice on screen, but then it seemed he wasn't really into directing another marathon-venture. And then it was announced that Guillermo del Toro would be doing the honours, and seriously, I was jumping for joy. Some of GdT's movies weird me out (Chronos for example), but I thought Pan's Labyrinth was an absolute masterpiece. Perfect fairytale feel, being all dangerous and enchanting, ugly and beautiful, scary and entrancing all at the same time. Often all in the same scene.

Anyway, I think del Toro will probably do a very good job directing The Hobbit. He's also already very open to communication with the (sometimes fun, sometimes fundamentalist) Tolkien fandom. He even posts at TORN's forums for crissakes! As Guillermo. And he signs some posts "Yr Obt Svt". How can one resist?

I'm hoping my girl Galadriel will be in it too... if not in the actual Hobbit movie, then in the "bridge" movie that is supposed to cover some part of the time between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Screencap from "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", thanks to imladris.net.

No comments: