Saturday, June 14, 2008

Hobbit Casting Thoughts

With the Bilbo-casting rumours seemingly dying down a bit now, I've been thinking about the rest of the cast. Who would I want to see in the various roles? Not that I mind leaving the final decisions up to someone else: I'd have never thought of casting Viggo as Aragorn (my dream pick was Daniel Day Lewis), but Viggo was amazing as Strider. Same goes for Sir Ian as Gandalf: my dream pick was Patrick Stewart (aka Captain Picard), but now I wouldn't want to see anyone but Sir Ian in the part.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on some of the roles that need filling:

Beorn: one of my favourite Hobbit characters. When I read the book, in my mind I pictured someone very much like Brian Blessed. Somewhat feral and dangerous, yet capable of being jovial and friendly. Other options might be Brian Cox or Brendan Gleeson. Gerard Butler would probably do a good job too. A slightly out-of-left-field pick would be Russell Crowe.

Thranduil: This will be a tough one imo. All elves are tough to cast. You need someone who is hadsome/beautiful, yet not exactly "effeminate". I'd like Thranduil to be dark-haired, but maybe they will go with blond to match Legolas? Someone like Hugh Jackman or a similar "type" (tall, cheekboney, beautiful features) would work. All of a sudden I'm thinking Timothy Dalton. He's a really great actor and good-looking enough for any elf!

The dwarves:Yes, all of them: Thorin Oakenshield, Óin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Kili, Fili, Bofur, Dori, Bombur, Nori, and Ori. Someone at TORN suggested that del Toro veteran Ron Perlman might make an excellent Thorin Oakenshield, and once I thought about it for a moment I realized they were absolutely right. Then, when I watched The Golden Compass (highly recommended movie btw), I thought the guy who played Lord Faa, Jim Carter, would also make an excellent dwarf. Maybe Gloin? And if Jack Black ends up anywhere in the movies, maybe he should be Bombur?

Bard: The one real human hero in the story. I'm thinking they should pick someone in the vein of Boromir and Faramir from LOTR. That is, someone who is a similar type as Sean Bean and David Wenham. Gerard Butler might fit here if he's not busy playing Beorn! Or how about Clive Owen? Eric Bana?

Of course, there are plenty, plenty, plenty of lesser-knowns and unknowns who would probably blow us all away with their performances should they be chosen for any of the parts. And since it has been confirmed that ALL the dwarves will be in the movie, there will be a lot of actors needed to get this show on the road.

Drawing of the Elvenking's Gate by JRR Tolkien, thanks to this site.

No comments: